1. APPLY DISHWASHING LIQUID TO YOUR CARPET
For this first tip, nothing could be simpler! Whether you want to remove a stain or sanitize your entire carpet, dish soap works wonders.
To freshen up your carpet, first lather some dish soap in a basin of lukewarm water. Use a sponge or brush and rub gently. Rinse with clean water and a microfiber cloth. Be careful not to rinse your carpet with plenty of water, as it will have a hard time drying. Wipe off with a towel then let it sit in the open air. To speed up the drying time, use a hair dryer.
This technique also works with black soap, a natural multifunction product whose effectiveness is well established.
2. CLEAN YOUR CARPET WITH SPARKLING WATER
Imagine. This is your housewarming. All your friends are gathered at your home to celebrate your installation in this new, freshly renovated apartment. Around a glass, everyone is ecstatic about the pretty decoration you have chosen. Suddenly, it’s the drama: the awkward gesture of a guest sprays a few drops of wine on your brand new beige carpet…
We must react and quickly. To overcome splashes of wine (or juice, tea, coffee, etc.), sparkling water remains your best ally.
How to do it? A single watchword to find an immaculate carpet: speed! First, blot up the spilled liquid using paper towels: above all, avoid pressing the stain against the carpet. Sprinkle it with a little sparkling water. Then absorb the sparkling water with a clean cloth. The operation can be repeated as many times as necessary.
To optimize the stain removal action of sparkling water, do not hesitate to combine its use with baking soda. In addition to sanitizing your surfaces, this 100% natural powder instantly revives colors. Pour sparkling water over the area and brush with light circular motions. Wait half an hour. Then sprinkle baking soda on the carpet. Leave on for several hours then vacuum to remove the powder.
3. ADOPT THE IRON TECHNIQUE
Think your living room rug unrecoverable? Try this somewhat unusual method for a tough stain. It requires an iron, white vinegar and a cloth.
Here is how to use it:
- Set your iron to the highest steam level and let it heat up for a few minutes;
- During this time, prepare a mixture of 2 thirds of water and 1 third of white household vinegar;
- Spray this mixture on the stain. Our advice: first spray the contours of it to prevent it from spreading;
- Cover the area with a light-colored damp cloth;
- Run your iron back and forth over the laundry for about 10 seconds.
- The stain should transfer to the fabric. If necessary, repeat this same gesture on another area of the towel.
However, be careful with the composition of your carpet: some materials cannot withstand high temperatures and risk being damaged.